aaa Basic Compression - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Basic Compression

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             10-Sep-07  @  01:13 PM   -   Basic Compression

joegornall

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi,

Following the guidelines in the articles section on compression settings, Im a bit unsure on the release settings as its in seconds rather than ms. So it says for example release 0.2 secs which is 200ms. Im just checking this is correct as Ive seen other guidelines that say (for a similar example) 10ms release. All the other suggested settings for attack, threshold and ratio are similar which is why Im asking as the release settings are totally different. Just that I thought release settings should be pretty fast?

Thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             14-Sep-07  @  12:39 AM     Edit: 14-Sep-07  |  12:44 AM   -   RE: Basic Compression

joegornall

Do you guys adjust the release setting purely by ear? Im finding it really hard to tell any difference at the mo with the compressor on the kick drum between a 20 ms release and a 200ms release.

Does it depend on how long the sample is etc?

Also, what is regarded as a fast release?

Any help appreciated,

Joe

Message 3/8             14-Sep-07  @  12:39 AM     Edit: 14-Sep-07  |  12:41 AM   -   RE: Basic Compression

joegornall

I accidentally pressed submit msg twice sorry!

Message 4/8             14-Sep-07  @  12:55 AM   -   RE: Basic Compression

k

Link?:  Link

joegornall@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Do you guys adjust the release setting purely by ear? Im finding it really hard to tell any difference at the mo with the compressor on the kick drum between a 20 ms release and a 200ms release.

thats cos the drum sample will have a hold/decay time shorter than that probably (when asking about 200ms....

as for 20ms, well that depends... if the compressor is set more radicaly then adjusting the decay wil be noticeable

what comp is it?....

you know what is good... just f*ck with it man... rack up the compression ratio to a high value and make it so you really hear what it's doing, THEN mess with the release.... see what it does

now. to give you an example of what release CAN do, get a handclap sample, something with a good 'crack'.... turn up the compression ratio high, like 20:1... now, with the clap in a simple 4-on-the-floor house type beat, mess with the attack AND release and try and get the clap to do an 'echo' compression type effect, that means that after the actual 'CLAP' sound is triggered, it surges back almost like a reverse reverb effect so it goes... "clap-aaaap"! (so to speak/spell)

after the initial clap the clap then does a sort of second 'whooshing' clap - hard to describe but you'll hear it if you get it

anyways ask stuff... i'll try and help .. compression is a great subject... we'll have to add some video's on it tbh

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/8             14-Sep-07  @  11:34 AM   -   RE: Basic Compression

joegornall

Cool, yeah I got it thanks, had to put the threshold waaay down to about -35/40dbs to get it really really apparant.

Im only messing around with the effects within guru at the moment but thats given a good idea of whats going on.

Some vids would be fantastic!

Thanks for your help

Joe

Message 6/8             14-Sep-07  @  05:13 PM   -   RE: Basic Compression

k

i never looked even at guru... it's a drumbox plugin innit?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 7/8             16-Sep-07  @  09:44 PM   -   RE: Basic Compression

joegornall

Yeah it is a plugin but you can use it standalone aswell. Its really good. Theres a free demo download available, the full version is £99 I think which is cheaper than Battery and DR008.

I tell you what, Id pay a tenner or more for a vid on someone just going through detailed compression settings tips etc of various parts of a dance mix and I bet others would too! Its surprizing how much you can learn just by watching others. It seems like a difficult technique to master (compression I mean), probably OK to sound alright but difficult to get to a top level. After all, when we talk about a track that sounds 'professional' we're talking mainly about the mix I guess which compression plays a huge role, especially in hard dance/trance etc.

Message 8/8             17-Sep-07  @  11:56 AM   -   RE: Basic Compression

k

yeah, agreed, and we're gonna do that after the new site is released... but that has to bwe done first

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)