aaa Thanksgiving has lost its true meaning - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

30-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Thanksgiving has lost its true meaning

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             27-Nov-09  @  11:37 AM   -   Thanksgiving has lost its true meaning

sitar

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

yesterday was thanksgiving day in the u.s. and it was the last time i am partaking in the day.
from now on thanksgiving day is just like any other day to me because its true meaning has
been lost.

we spend hours preparing turkeys and stuffing, mashed potatoes and squash, cranberry
sauce, pumpkin pie, and the rest of the laundry list of traditional thanksgiving day delights.
families travel long distances to be together for the day. for some its the only day of the year
people spend reunited with family members and buddies they grew up with who have also
come back to the old neighborhood for the day. we watch the traditional macy's day parade on
television as huge floats and balloons head down broadway while we hear commentators tell
us how wonderful it all is. we hear the story about pilgrims from europe breaking bread with
native americans. in fact thanksgiving is the only day of the year you can count on hearing
"corn" referred to as "maize". after thanksgiving it goes back to being corn for the next 364
days.

the weather is usually crisp but not cold...perfect for a family walk after a huge meal and at
least if you live somewhat in the north the foliage is still big sweeping brush strokes of brilliant
reds, yellows, and oranges.

but the true spirit has been sucked out of thanksgiving, leaving only meaningless rituals and
here's why. those were the 3 worst thanksgiving day football games i've ever seen. you know
it's bad when families, sitting closely and cosily around the tube in excited anticipation of
opening kickoff, start to drift off by halftime and talk to each other about what's been going on
in their lives since they last saw each other a year ago, or how especially good the stuffing
was this year. you know the game's completely bollixed when you don't even bother asking
your sister to please wait for a commercial break as she tries telling you she's pregnant and
engaged to be married.

well there you have it.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             27-Nov-09  @  03:12 PM   -   RE: Thanksgiving has lost its true meaning

Jock

Link?:  Link

LOL

Being English I have no understanding of thanksgiving, its origins or its continuing traditions. But having someone telling you they are pregnant during one of those american rugby-lite type matches must be very annoying indeed.

Message 3/8             28-Nov-09  @  03:55 AM   -   RE: Thanksgiving has lost its true meaning

sitar

thanksgiving celebrates the day pilgrims sat down and had a peaceful meal with native americans
before they went on to slaughter native americans to create the country known today as the u.s.
granted it wasn't those same pilgrims that did the slaughtering but they unknowingly opened the door
of opportunity. somehow i can't help think that 13,000 murders per year in the u.s. as compared to
14 in the u.k. and the most costly and most insufficient healthcare in the free world is karmic
payback just getting started. we spend more than anyone in the industrialized world and yet we rank
in the 50s for life expectancy and in the mid 40s for infant mortality...check it out at the CIA World
Factbook...and to see the 3 worst football games possible on thanksgiving day simply adds insult to
injury.

Message 4/8             28-Nov-09  @  01:42 PM   -   RE: Thanksgiving has lost its true meaning

NastyM

Link?:  No link

Nice touch

Message 5/8             29-Nov-09  @  01:38 AM   -   RE: Thanksgiving has lost its true meaning

k

i thought Jock would be celebrating... Wanksgiving!

drrrrrrrrrrrrr-tish!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/8             29-Nov-09  @  01:39 AM   -   RE: Thanksgiving has lost its true meaning

sitar

yeah maybe there's something wrong with me but i think it's insane to consider that dead kids are
acceptable collateral damage of the right to bear arms. pro gun people in the u.s. say they shouldn't
be punished for what criminals do but people gun owners are not criminals until they kill a spouse.
then there's the bumper sticker argument, "guns don't kill people. people kill people." so then why is
everyone so concerned about Iran, North Korea, or Al Qaeda in Pakistan getting their hands on
nuclear weapons? after all, "nuclear missiles don't kill millions of people. people kill millions of
people." of course the national rifle association doesn't want to put 2 and 2 together and take it that
far...or do they?

Message 7/8             29-Nov-09  @  03:31 AM   -   RE: Thanksgiving has lost its true meaning

k

iy's not that mate, it's simple... corporations run america. without state infrastructure u dont have a
state, just a bunch of opportunists out for themselces. sadly this system/philosophy is spreading

anyways cheer up

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/8             29-Nov-09  @  04:06 AM   -   RE: Thanksgiving has lost its true meaning

sitar

k wrote:

iys not that mate, its simple... corporations run america. without
state infrastructure u dont have a
state, just a bunch of opportunists out for themselces. sadly
this system/philosophy is spreading

anyways cheer up

You're absolutely right k and thanks for saying cheer up. i'm actually good and fighting behind the
scenes to change things here. you wouldn't believe the things people say that I go up against. It's
insane. capitalists actually believe bernie madoff's only mistake is that he got caught...and some of
the people who think that are business school graduates from places like harvard and wharton
business school. hopefully i'll be better at this than i was at writing tracks. src='images/smile.gif'>

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)