aaa What makes techno/jungle/drum'n'bugle? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: What makes techno/jungle/drum'n'bugle?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             23-Sep-97  @  03:25 AM   -   What makes techno/jungle/drum'n'bugle?

wsf

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Please no insults and painful remarks...It's hard enough being too broke to afford fancy gear but to be in a country where everyone is as clueless as I am...what makes techno, TECHNO? Do you need synths? Can u use guitar? real guitar or sampled? minimal vocals right? How 'bout jungle? does all jungl have that hyper kik-snare thing? what else does it have? are u allowed to use scratching (vinyl)? BPMs? I know, I know anything and everything can be done nowadays and what matters most is the music not the gear used, blah, blah, blah...I just want some very general pointers and characteristics to get me on the right track...I don't mean for this thread to be a place for analog vs. digital discussions, virtual vs. actual, your dog vs my cat etc. Thank You very much in advance to all...(if you're too lazy to reply, some links to info sites will suffice...)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             23-Sep-97  @  04:16 AM   -   RE: What makes techno/jungle/drum'n'bugle?

Bizarreboy

This won't answer your question but the skies the limit. You could have a fresh approach-we all can appreciate that.Don't worry so much about difinitions-really.Experiment!There is real power available with alittle creativty.Also,there are loads of tips available here,software down loads and the likes.Dig deep and let'er rip
Bizarreboy
P.s. Sorry I didn't answer the question

Message 3/8             23-Sep-97  @  05:09 PM   -   RE: What makes techno/jungle/drum'n'bugle?

Just do what every other wanker does and buy a second hand akai sampler

Message 4/8             01-Oct-97  @  07:31 PM   -   RE: What makes techno/jungle/drum'n'bugle?

magnussven

Bpm's? For jungle and drum'n'bass, use 180, maybe 160. Remember: always use evn numbers for your bpm's, coz that way, songs are easier to mix. So I've heard...

Message 5/8             06-Oct-97  @  09:08 AM   -   RE: What makes techno/jungle/drum'n'bugle?

Techno 128 BPM and up, 4 on the floor kick beats, funky medium to fast basslines, sometimes acid.

Drum & Bass - much faster 150 or so and up, rattling snare rolls, far fewer kick beats, slower dubbs basslines.

Message 6/8             06-Oct-97  @  12:41 PM   -   RE: What makes techno/jungle/drum'n'bugle?

kilo

To cover most musics, there are 4 components.......

1) a sampler, or H/d system with midi to add loops, vocal hooks etc......

2) some type of widdly sounding filter sweeping type synth either hardware such as a waldorf pulse, tb, software synths, Basstation etc......(cheapest=software synths such as rebirth, rubberuck, vaz etc)

3) A digital synth, for pads, weird noises, piano's strings etc etc.........(cheapest =Yamaha db50xg & editor)

4) Yamah FM sounds.......TX-81Z, Fb01, DX series, etc..........(all cheap....best is TX, the FB, then dx-100, dx-27&21 etc)

sorce for your drums.....either from the sampler, H/d for loops, or as samples from the digital synth.....or/and a combination of all 3.......(cheapest =hammerhead or making waves & samples... dr-550mk2, R70, or mix db50xg or other cheap drum source with sampler/hd system etc)

mix all these through a small mixer, with a reverb & delay or 2, add a gate and a compressor (if you choose to)........ given all these ingredients, you have all the sounds you need for variety......(cheap mixer such as Folio or Mackie + secondhand delay & reverb should be about 250-350 Uk sterling)...

Lastly for the finishing touch, add a decent reel-to-reel 2 track, or a DAT machine......

Some sounds/styles are cheaper to achieve........eg, with Jungle, or drum & bass, you could master a product using a PC, making waves programme, a few sample cd's and a dat & an s/pdif card.....or even hire in the dat to mix....

Message 7/8             06-Oct-97  @  02:01 PM   -   RE: What makes techno/jungle/drum'n'bugle?

Avene

Link?:  Link

Although it's not jungle or techno, did you know that DJ Shadow did his whole album on just an Akai MPC60 II?

Message 8/8             06-Oct-97  @  04:18 PM   -   RE: What makes techno/jungle/drum'n'bugle?

Ufo

Yeah, a sampler is enough. But it's much more fun using synths, though - not as much work.
Whats the main usage of fm-synths. I have used a friends TG-77. I thought it sounded weird, and was pretty hard to edit.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)