aaa Help me with my set up.... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Help me with my set up....

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             04-Mar-98  @  01:53 AM   -   Help me with my set up....

bpi

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi!

Need your expert advice once again people....

1. Is Cakewalk v.6 a good buy? Will it run a Yamaha TG-33 sound module?
How many audio tracks can I get with a K5133mhz PC, 16MB RAM? any at
all?

2. Is the Yamaha TG-33 any good? I can get it for $150US...should I?
Should I get a Roland U220 instead? ($125US)

3. What do I need to hook up my PC to the TG-33? Some kind of MIDI box
right? Do any come with din sync out so I can sync my TB-303 as well?
Will the Korg KMS30 synchronizer work? Are there other options?

4. I don't need a keyboard controller or external sequencer do I? (I'm
not a keyboard player)

Basically, I'm planning to purchase a Yamaha TG-33 sound module and
Cakewalk v.6. I currently have a TB303, a TR606 and a Fostex 4trak
cassette recorder. I'm hoping for tips on how to get the whole lot up
and running.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ratfink

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             04-Mar-98  @  09:57 AM   -   RE: Help me with my set up....

Clemens.Kurtz

Hi!

1) Cakewalk is a good and reliable sequencer !
It will run with a TG33 (have a look at
http://www.synthzone.com in section Yamaha and yo will find some useful links to TG33 related sited, where you can download editor-software and Cakewalk utils for TG33; I own d TG33 too, its fine, but... no GM/ GS kompatible gear...).
The number of audio-tracks you can play simultaneously depends more on the HD-equipment you use than on the CPU-Performance. With normal E-IDE HD-equip. you should be able handle up to 4 stereo tracks without problems....

2) TG33: see item 1). U220 isnīt bad, but I would prefer TG33 (TG33 has a funny joystick control you can use as control unit for other Midi jobs as well, and TG33 has a really fine random-sound creator.... thats great... check it out......).

3) To hook up an external synth to your PC you need min. a soundcard with Midi-To-Joystick adaptercable. But you can use an external Midi box as well, connected to your parallel-port (printer-port) of your PC (eg Steinberg PC-Midi 3 or Motu-interface, etc....). If you want to connect more than 1 (2) device(s) to your PC, I recommend you the use of such an external Midi-box !! Sync to TB303 via Midi-Time-Code (Cakewalk supports MTC).

4) Well, if you never want to play any note, just "puzzle" Midi-parts together to create a song, youīll never need a keyboard,.......but if you want to do some easy-playing jobs you better buy a cheap master keyboard...

Good luck.....

Clemens

Message 3/10             04-Mar-98  @  10:15 AM   -   RE: Help me with my set up....

kilo

you'll need a midi to din syc converer to clock the TB

Message 4/10             05-Mar-98  @  01:03 AM   -   RE: Help me with my set up....

bpi

If the yamaha db50xg card is so good, maybe i should get that instead...will it be more useful to me than the tg-33? i'm hoping the tg-33 will give me those josh wink-type ambient, pitch-up string pads (know which one i mean? with a pitch wheel of course).i already have several soft synths and a tb303 for my analog type sounds. what i need is a more modern, all-around type kit. i can get the tg-33 second hand for about the same price as the db50xg brand-new?!? i already chose the tg-33 over the roland u220...but maybe the soundcard is even better...any ideas from a bang-for-the-buck point of view? My current soundcard is a very crappy yamaha opl3sax. Maybe the Terratec card is an even better choice as it will give me better soundcard outputs (plus synth+sampler) at the same time. in short: yammy tg-33(second hand) versus the yammy db50xg card (brand new) versus the terratec card...which one????

thanks all,
ratfink

Message 5/10             05-Mar-98  @  01:09 AM   -   RE: Help me with my set up....

ratfink

ow! ow! just checked out the terratec page...i can't afford it!!!

Message 6/10             05-Mar-98  @  01:09 AM   -   RE: Help me with my set up....

ratfink

Message 7/10             05-Mar-98  @  01:11 AM   -   RE: Help me with my set up....

ratfink

Message 8/10             05-Mar-98  @  02:21 PM   -   RE: Help me with my set up....

Clemens.Kurtz

Hi!

TG33 versus DB50XG !?! What should I say.... I have both,
a TG33 and a MU80 (XG-device, sometihing like DB50XG,
but external). Both are good. TG33 is older, but it has
good FM-sounds (basses, strings, etc.). MU80 (DB50XG) is
very useful if you want to make some filter sweeps....
Ask your grandma and buy both :-))

Bye

Clemens

Message 9/10             06-Mar-98  @  01:53 AM   -   RE: Help me with my set up....

ratfink

whaaat?!? i can't filter sweep with the tg-33??? I mean not real time of course but what about programmed sweeps? i can do the winx pitch up thing with it though , right??? hell i can't wait...i'm seeing the guy tonight! i guess it's the tg-33...

Message 10/10             06-Mar-98  @  08:23 AM   -   RE: Help me with my set up....

Clemens.Kurtz

Hi!

Thereīs no midi-controller for Harmony / Cutoff in TG33!

You can simulate filter-sweeps using the TG33 joystick and
corresponding AWM/FM-sounds, but this isn`t quite easy
as the use of the midi-controllers for Harmony / Cutoff.

But..... the TG33 FM-sounds are really good for teccno-
basses.... Just listen to both: DB50XG (or any other
external XG-device) and to the TG33 sounds. You have to
find it out yourself! Sounds canīt be described, you have
to listen to them !

Bye and good luck

Clemens

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)