aaa Using MC303 with other equip! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Using MC303 with other equip!

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             10-Mar-98  @  08:14 PM   -   Using MC303 with other equip!

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hey!

I'm a bit confused regarding the MC303... I've been trying to use the mc303 with other midi equipment for a while now, but that haven’t been too successfull. I’ve been able to control a track on my yamaha midi card via the mc303 by assigning a part to an external sound module, but that’s the closest I’ve got.

Whell, here’s the equipment I use:
- MC303
-Yamaha SW60XG soundcard
- Roland Sound Canvas soundcard
- SB16 soundcard
- Midi Keyboard

The Sound Canvas is a daughterboard who is attached to the SB16 card. The yamaha card is a «stand alone card», who is connected to the SB16 line in. So the only midi input I have is the SB16 midi in.

I use Cake Walk Pro (Adio), and I’ve found a lot of INS files with patch/bank/sound names to the MC303, but I haven’t been able to find any Windows 95 drivers for the MC303, and I guess that’s the problem. I’ve tried to set the mc303 in slave mode, but that didn’t work either.

Can anyone please help me?

Regards, Martin Sydhagen

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             10-Mar-98  @  08:14 PM   -   Using MC303 with other equip!

telegiro

Hey!

I'm a bit confused regarding the MC303... I've been trying to use the mc303 with other midi equipment for a while now, but that haven’t been too successfull. I’ve been able to control a track on my yamaha midi card via the mc303 by assigning a part to an external sound module, but that’s the closest I’ve got.

- MC303
-Yamaha SW60XG soundcard
- SB16 soundcard
- Midi Keyboard

The Sound Canvas is a daughterboard who is attached to the SB16 card. The yamaha card is a «stand alone card», who is connected to the SB16 line in. So the only midi input I have is the SB16 midi in.

I use Cake Walk Pro (Adio), and I’ve found a lot of INS files with patch/bank/sound names to the MC303, but I haven’t been able to find any Windows 95 drivers for the MC303, and I guess that’s the problem. I’ve tried to set the mc303 in slave mode, but that didn’t work either.

Regards, Martin Sydhagen

Message 3/4             10-Mar-98  @  08:18 PM   -   Using MC303 with other equip!

telegiro

Hey!

- MC303
-Yamaha SW60XG soundcard
- SB16 soundcard
- Midi Keyboard

Regards, Martin Sydhagen

Message 4/4             11-Mar-98  @  04:41 PM   -   RE: Using MC303 with other equip!

hilliard

You are on the right track about controlling a track on the yamaha card by assigning a part to an external sound module, and this can be done on any parts on the 303. Just set any parts you want to "ext". The midi channels on the 303 correspond to the part number (part1=ch1, part2=ch2, etc., drum part=ch10). This will only work for using the 303 to control other modules.

If you want to trigger the sounds of the 303, it's a whole different ballgame. There is a "sound module" mode if you boot-up with a couple of keys pressed (check the manual). This only allows you to use the sounds of the 303....you cannot twist the knobs for changes. If you don't use this "mode", I think any part that is "selected" will sound when the 303 is triggered.

You can also trigger the 303 to just start/stop it's patterns. That's where the "slave" mode comes into play. The 303 will be slaved to the midi clock of your sequencer. I also think that the 303 sends a pretty loose clock out (if you control another sequencer with it). I've seen the tempo clock switch between BPMs before...pretty weird.

The 303 is generally not very good at working in a MIDI setup. It can be done, but it's a little "iffy". I know alsmost nothing about souncards, so I won't even tread there. Good luck.

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)