aaa software eq vs. hardware - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: software eq vs. hardware

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/14             24-Jan-04  @  08:08 AM   -   software eq vs. hardware

panama

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

planning to do some post and I'm looking for some advice on eq's... hardware or
software? choices...??? I'm putting up the Sony Oxford Tdm plugin vs a good hardware.
Would there be any point in getting a hardware unit to do the eq when the oxford is known
as being state of the art?

I've been thinking about this a lot... if anyone thinks of a good hardware eq under $ 700, tell
me about it. Would things sound better coming out of a digital domain and back into? or
just stick with the plugin?

I'm not satisfied with the waves eq. I need added color. shit... makes me think of old
analog tubes... old Sony betacams are known for being softer and more pleasant on video
while the digibetas are cold and harsh but are more accurate. must apply everywhere...

maybe a cheap solution for eq's with old equipment would be a good idea. any ideas?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             24-Jan-04  @  10:06 AM   -   RE: software eq vs. hardware

Influx

Nightpro EQ3d.

one of the only ones under $700 that Ive heard recommended

Message 3/14             24-Jan-04  @  10:27 AM   -   RE: software eq vs. hardware

psylichon

The Oxford is not going to give you more color than the waves stuff. Which Waves are you using? C or Renaissance? If it's rennaissance, I challenge you to find a sweeter sounding digital EQ. Very easy to use, too.

How do you plan on using this eq for "post"? Having only one or two channels of dedicated high-end EQ can be a bit limiting, especially in a deadline-prone post project.

What are you trying to "color"?

Message 4/14             25-Jan-04  @  09:52 AM   -   RE: software eq vs. hardware

panama

Link?:  No link

waves c eq is what I've been using... the renaissance is something I havent touched. should I?

I'm trying to eq everything besides drums. piano definitley, atmosphere and pads second. would the oxford be comparable or better than any other digi eq?

color? well, my ears find a bit of my digital synths to sound cold and bland (carrying none of that palette of that analog type synth sound). I need say a quick fix in getting that warm sound I hear from my analogs... The waves c eq sounds precise but not good enough for my ears (no color?)... i cant add the color to the pianos and pads that I record with the Roland Romplers and VA's... The analog stuff sounds great with waves c... what do you suggest?

Message 5/14             25-Jan-04  @  12:05 PM   -   RE: software eq vs. hardware

milan

uh... color via plugin? wait... you're using a protools tdm rig then? well there should be enough plugins there to help you out... focusrite eq/comps definitely spring to mind, as do all the fairchild/la2a/1176/joemeek/moog emulations which all add a bit of color as a side effect of processing. judging by the Oxford eq reviews, i dont think it'll do much to the basic color of your sound, i think its meant as more of a technical than creative tool.

Message 6/14             25-Jan-04  @  04:56 PM   -   RE: software eq vs. hardware

d

Link?:  No link

rather than eq, you might try running those digital sources through an amp and record it with a mike (or use an amp simulator).

Message 7/14             26-Jan-04  @  12:09 AM   -   RE: software eq vs. hardware

Pongoid

Are you folks fuckin high, or what? EQ? HARDWARE analog. Shit I just saw a PAIR of Orban 672 A's goin for less than $200. That's insane. There's a 622b that probably won't go for more than three hundred. Big fat warm real EQ an no phasing issues. See that's the problem with digital: PHASE. That is unless you're going ALL digital, and then you still have to take some time to align everything. The nice thing about digital is that you can do that at all. However, if you're runnig some digital, some software, some hardware, some analog, then you're gonna have a pretty tough time getting it all right. If you don't mind that, then go with whatever's going to be easiest to work with. For me, that's a harware analog parametric.

*shrugs

Ape

Message 8/14             26-Jan-04  @  04:45 AM     Edit: 26-Jan-04  |  04:56 AM   -   RE: software eq vs. hardware

psylichon

Message 9/14             26-Jan-04  @  04:50 AM     Edit: 26-Jan-04  |  04:52 AM   -   RE: software eq vs. hardware

psylichon

oh, and what you're talking about is most likely digital latency, which is compensated for by most DAWs nowadays as long as you run everything into your computer at some point (which ya kinda have to do if you're mixing digitally).

Message 10/14             27-Jan-04  @  10:53 PM   -   RE: software eq vs. hardware

Pongoid

Lick me nuts, psil. The dude said he wanted character. I gave him an answer for under $700 easy. You don't like it, that's your fuckin problem. Go play with your plugins. I've got some knob covered boxes to patch. What have you got? A mouse? a screen? some numbers? a convertor? No character there.

Ape

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)