aaa Holy crap, it's still here! - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Holy crap, it's still here!

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Original Message                 Date: 09-Jan-09  @  07:23 AM   -   Holy crap, it's still here!

psylichon

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

It was down so long I just stopped trying after a while.

I still talk with Beds every now and then on IRC, but who else is still around?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 61/76             21-Jul-09  @  04:47 AM   -   RE: Holy crap, it's still here!

sitar

Link?: Link

if you go to this page it is the first of quite a few with instructional vids for playing sitar. It seems
women have cornered the youtube market for this topic. I don't know the one with the long hair but I
know the one with the short hair. her vids start to appear on page 2. Her name is daisy and she is
quite an accomplished player. I think she studied under Nikhil Banerjee.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+play+sitar&search_type=&aq=f

Message 62/76             21-Jul-09  @  10:31 AM   -   RE: Holy crap, it's still here!

k

i meant before steel wire strings could be made what did they string these with? some type of gut as for european string instruments just wouldnt sound the same surely? i couldnt find any info on what the strings were made of in old days

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 63/76             21-Jul-09  @  01:41 PM   -   RE: Holy crap, it's still here!

sitar

I was about to say that the sitar in it's relatively present form is probably less than 200 years old
which would make it a contemporary of the piano and since there was steel piano wire at the time I
assume there was steel sitar wire. I wanted first to check the dating of sitar so I went to wikipedia.
I'd forgotten about the name Amir Khusrau. I've forgotten quite a few things about sitar and Indian
music in general lol. Anyway, it's stated in wikipedia that the sitar is believed to have been created
by him in the 13th century which I believe is true but, it was also a modification of the Persian "Tar"
and sitar means 3 strings. Maybe they used gut in those days and yes it would have sounded
much different but the sitar then only had 3 strings. That was always my understanding. The sitar
didn't develop into being close to what we see today until maybe the last 150 years.

Ok here's a quote I just found:

"Large, fretted long-necked lute, a prominent instrument of the classical music of the northern and
central regions of the South Asian subcontinent, including modern India, Pakistan and Bangladesh
and with extensions into Afghanistan and Nepal. The name 'sitar' is an Urdu transcription of
Persian sihtar, Persian being the court language of north India from the 13th century to the 19th. It
did not become standard in India until the instrument began to reach its present form in the 18th
century. Courtesy of New Grove DMI © 1995."

That's pretty much what was in my mind. At points in time I'd heard things about the history of sitar
but didn't pay much mind. I was too busy learning to play the thing, learning to file the bridge,
learning to tie the frets, to give a crap about who made the bloody thing and when.

Oh yeah and I was reminded that the frets move. You have to make sure they are tied tightly
enough that they won't move incidentally from playing but that you can move them deliberately
when you need to. The frets are normally tied end to end by rather thick wound gold thread that
runs behind the neck but I've seen heavy fishing line used. Whether or not fishing line is better is
de-bait-able

Message 64/76             21-Jul-09  @  02:35 PM   -   RE: Holy crap, it's still here!

sitar

a fantastic vid of Vilayat Khan's oldest son Shujaat in concert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7cctrtfYCw&feature=related

two vids of Roshan Ara Begum, perhaps the greatest female vocalist of classical north Indian
music. She moved to Pakistan after the war and unfortunately didn't sing much because of the
prohibitions of Pakistani law at the time against the voice being used for anything but religious
music. One of the most amazing things to me about old school singing was the sarangi
accompanists. Sarangi is a stringed instrument played with a bow. It is used as a solo instrument
but also traditionally "shadowed" vocalists every note. Pretty amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH8o9CX9Yns&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkrF_hAV7BI

A vid of Amir Khan also considered one of the greatest singers of his time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhVE4sQIdS0

Message 65/76             21-Jul-09  @  03:29 PM   -   RE: Holy crap, it's still here!

k

sitar wrote:

Whether or not fishing line is better is
de-bait-able

lol, nut

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 66/76             21-Jul-09  @  10:19 PM   -   RE: Holy crap, it's still here!

sitar

had to slip one in there lol. The people I performed with made tuns of puns out of Indian terms. One
tabla player suggested we start a band called Sruti and the Blowfish. That one still cracks me up.

Message 67/76             27-Jul-09  @  11:55 PM     Edit: 27-Jul-09  |  11:57 PM   -   RE: Holy crap, it's still here!

sitar

with cable tv we have so many choices to watch. some of the stations offered are foreign. so
sitting here in america i decided to see what's going on british television. i picked up the remote,
punched in the numbers and suddenly water started gushing from the television. i quickly turned
back to the previous station. that's the last time i'll switch to the english channel :P

Message 68/76             02-Sep-09  @  12:19 AM   -   RE: Holy crap, it's still here!

nutoniom

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Hello there,

thought I'd drop by and show you my latest creation:

Haven't done a track in a while, tho', being back to school and all. Anyway , nice to see you all,
and i'll
be back with some more tracks later. Don't hold your breath or anything.

Oh, and the pedal was made to celebrate Voivod's last Opus, Infini.

Message 69/76             08-Sep-09  @  06:44 AM   -   RE: Holy crap, it's still here!

damballah

whoa! rurik popped in!

hey, y'all.

Message 70/76             09-Sep-09  @  04:22 AM   -   RE: Holy crap, it's still here!

sitar

hey damballah. how've you been?

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There are 76 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)