aaa motivation - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: motivation

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Original Message                 Date: 07-Aug-04  @  08:55 AM   -   motivation

panama

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I sit here with this keyboard and my Macintiosh and wonder about motivation. We
as a group compose beats, noise, and maybe a melody, but why? Is it motivation
or time killed or a good fuck (for our mind)? What motivates us? I get into my room
with all my expensive electronics and push buttons. PUSH BUTTONS? ok, I am a
Master Control Operator for TV. I push lots of butttons and I am not motivated. I
like TV but I like money too, which I make from pushing buttons. Cut to cut, edit to
edit. I put stuff together. BUT, the motivation in music is different. Do I think of
money, no. It silences the world. It keeps me from going mad when my girlfriend
hates and cheats on me. I am motivated to vent my filth. is it filth tho? GOD DAMN
ART! where's the art? I push buttons, I DO NOT bleed while I push piano keys to
bleed in the index. I say, hello macintosh, dear diary, you are much more forgiving
when I am motivated. HA!

FUCK! what is music then? heh, we know then. I have much respect a dude like
Paul Van Dyrk who makes a fabulous track with a chick going: "ERRRMMMM
dAYYYY AHHHH YYEAAA". What the fuck is it about with electronic music then?

so I thereby say, what motivates you (while you know the truth). It's all crap but its
soo good. EVER SHIT on the TOILET and felt, DAMN, I FEEL great while I SHIT.
I'm not ragging like a whore whose dried up a rag crusted to a piece of a card
stock. Leaving you wondering, HOW AM I GONNA WIPE MYSELF? but with the
intelligent notion that what does it all mean? and why are you motivated? and does
it make sense? Is it just easy, or just the latest tool in creation for your motivation
and self-worth?

damn, I love the guys who make money on there electronodal music,

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 61/89             14-Aug-04  @  07:33 AM   -   RE: motivation

urbicide

Link?: Link

fuck, music motivates ppl, yes! I sit at the computer and the keys write
themselves. Do I enjoy it? yes. why? b/c it cures the madness and loneliness that
is. Is it fucking god damn selfish? I dont care if you think that. I dont. I like to leave
my shoes at the beach. There is so much filth and pain that it makes me turn to
my elements. I dont care about making money. Maybe if I want to get the next
bottle or eat a good dinner, I will. But I have a stupid job for that crap.

So, back to the shit, what motivates us? it can be anything. money/greed, love,
madness, sanity, power, fame, happiness. Which one feels right in the end? The
one that is less selfish. goto the grave with that. or do you actually care? if not,
turn the gas on.

Message 62/89             14-Aug-04  @  09:58 AM   -   RE: motivation

k

heh - well yeah, if you are really lucky, you do what comes out, and yet people like it, you're not having to bend so to speak.... that's lucky

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 63/89             14-Aug-04  @  11:07 AM   -   RE: motivation

groovemonkey

Typical.... just typical....

why is it that so many threads at DT end up with folks slagging eachother and their respective music.?

What gives any of you the right to diss someone that you only know through a few posts?

pathetic!

y'all should use that negative energy for something good like writing music and quit slagging just coz you don't agree and think you're superior.

G

Message 64/89             14-Aug-04  @  12:17 PM   -   RE: motivation

k

A more serious post...c'mon- lets all be honest here. Maybe I'm the odd one out but when I see people on MTV and twats on the news who pride themselves in saying "oh well for my inspiration..I...ermm...walk on the beach and watch a sunset and sit in the dark for 3 hours, hearing nothing but the waves and birds and reflect on my past, because past experiences make my music so much better" or my favorite is "on my trip to africa, i got a chance to work first hand with green peace and i felt "charged" when i got home, and ready for music"

......that's the biggest crock of shit I've ever heard. I've never been "inspired" to do shit. I've never gone home after feeding homeless people in my school programs and said "god damn, I'm such a good person that I'm going to write a floor filler" --- wtf? Or "woah, that sunset was gorgeous--I'm going to go put my thoughts to music just now! 'cause thats possible!!"

None of my music reflects who I am, or what mood I'm in when I write it. Because when someone in your family dies or after you get home from feeding kids with aids in africa, do you feel great enough to write a song? I'm betting you feel like shit (ie reflecting your mood, your music would sound like shit too), unless you're an asshole, and frankly just don't care.

Sure I go through periods of writing block, but I don't search for things to blame it on. I go through periods of being able to write non stop for weeks, but thats just making music. Its how it goes folks *shrug*

I kinda agree with that and it ties in with someone comment above about dancemusic consumers simply use dance to dance to (no what a surprise) to go out, drop a few pills, have a few lines, have a few drinks, get laid if they're lucky etc

my fav' used to be speed or coke with acid - mmmm loverlee booster!, although i had to lay off the acid a few years back to be honest cos it was taking over 'out-of-school' (so to speak ) lol

I cant do dance tunes when i'm upset or some shit is happening - i can write songs, acoustic songs for guitar... i find misery is very good for that, but dance-music is for dancing to!!

I make dance music when i'm up and positive & there's no 'angst' involved etc - I really dont think (in most cases) that misery goes with it, unless you do some dark style.... I dont think you can compare the classic manic-depressive motivational misery of painters or whatever or lead singers in bands (Jim Morrison etc) with dance music (imo anyways)

I really beleive you cant appreciate dance music unless you dance! - call me thick, but if you dance, if you go clubbing, then creating dance tracks is just an extention of dancing

if you have trouble with beats i always think learning to dance is a good idea, it really can help your tunes.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 65/89             14-Aug-04  @  01:08 PM   -   RE: motivation

SignalRunners - Andrew

call me crazy but ive never been to a club. i just love the music

Message 66/89             14-Aug-04  @  01:10 PM   -   RE: motivation

groovemonkey

lol... you crazy mang!

G

Message 67/89             14-Aug-04  @  01:47 PM   -   RE: motivation

beds

bollocks. maybe it's true for most of the throwaway functional music that's gets churned out but i can't see why music you can dance to can't have any emotional depth.

i'm off to listen to some Blaze

Message 68/89             14-Aug-04  @  02:38 PM     Edit: 14-Aug-04  |  02:56 PM   -   RE: motivation

k

eh?.... no no - hold on, my musics not 'throwaway' - what about craft?... y'know simpley taking some pride in crafting a track?... why does it have to be throwaway just cos you weren't inspired by some event or whatever?

why cant you just make tunes because you like the work, like a challenge etc? - even tunes i do that i dont rewally like i still try hard to make them as good as i can - that's a producers role really at the end of the day - you cant produce if you only can do something with material that really fires you up - you'd hardly ever work - lol

to add - i DO undertand that a good dance track can have emotional depth, but it's a really hard thing to pin down, and besides, you can take two tracks from two different genre's - each, to a fan of that genre, can have emotional depth, but still if you aren't into that genre, the 'depth' will be wasted i think cos if you dont like deep house you dont like it, end of story - someone might make a dark drum&bass toon, their motivation maybe very personal and they REALLY feel it, but again, to someone who hates D&B, it'll be lost on them cos they simply dont like D&B

i know what you mean tho... i'm not saying i dont personaly have any emotional involvement in tracks i do - but all I'm saying is, it's not deep emotional stuff - if that does happen tho to any degree, it'll always tend to be when working with a vocal track, cos vocals add the soul alot of the time, and in that way i can get MORE emotionaly involved if the singer is taking it there in the first place

Message 69/89             14-Aug-04  @  03:19 PM   -   RE: motivation

beds

well, some of the sentiments from earlier disparaged the idea of any involvment of emotion/experience in other people's motivation and creativity "crock of shit" and it really is no surprise to me that things got a bit hot under the collar.

Message 70/89             14-Aug-04  @  04:09 PM   -   RE: motivation

k

ah right, i see what you mean now

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

There are 89 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)