aaa motivation - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: motivation

Viewing all 89 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 9

Original Message 1/89             07-Aug-04  @  08:55 AM   -   motivation

panama

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I sit here with this keyboard and my Macintiosh and wonder about motivation. We
as a group compose beats, noise, and maybe a melody, but why? Is it motivation
or time killed or a good fuck (for our mind)? What motivates us? I get into my room
with all my expensive electronics and push buttons. PUSH BUTTONS? ok, I am a
Master Control Operator for TV. I push lots of butttons and I am not motivated. I
like TV but I like money too, which I make from pushing buttons. Cut to cut, edit to
edit. I put stuff together. BUT, the motivation in music is different. Do I think of
money, no. It silences the world. It keeps me from going mad when my girlfriend
hates and cheats on me. I am motivated to vent my filth. is it filth tho? GOD DAMN
ART! where's the art? I push buttons, I DO NOT bleed while I push piano keys to
bleed in the index. I say, hello macintosh, dear diary, you are much more forgiving
when I am motivated. HA!

FUCK! what is music then? heh, we know then. I have much respect a dude like
Paul Van Dyrk who makes a fabulous track with a chick going: "ERRRMMMM
dAYYYY AHHHH YYEAAA". What the fuck is it about with electronic music then?

so I thereby say, what motivates you (while you know the truth). It's all crap but its
soo good. EVER SHIT on the TOILET and felt, DAMN, I FEEL great while I SHIT.
I'm not ragging like a whore whose dried up a rag crusted to a piece of a card
stock. Leaving you wondering, HOW AM I GONNA WIPE MYSELF? but with the
intelligent notion that what does it all mean? and why are you motivated? and does
it make sense? Is it just easy, or just the latest tool in creation for your motivation
and self-worth?

damn, I love the guys who make money on there electronodal music,

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/89             07-Aug-04  @  10:02 AM     Edit: 07-Aug-04  |  10:04 AM   -   RE: motivation

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

Haha. A couple of weeks ago I was working on a track, actually I think I was mixing... um... whatever, I got to thinking about what all this stuff is: making noises and sequencing them into patterns of patterns, and apparently I thought about it a little too hard and all of a sudden all music sounded rediculous. It had me bent over in fits of giggles. Then I got scared. I had completely nullified my experience of music! It all sounded like stupid sounds arranged into meaningless and rather rediculous patterns. I had to stop and pop down the local, which, thankfully, sorted my head out.

I'm never going to start thinking about this stuff again!

Message 3/89             07-Aug-04  @  10:53 AM   -   RE: motivation

casparproject

I'll try to keep this simple. Music is our emotional intelligence as expressed
through sound. The buttons don't matter, the keys don't matter, in fact the
amount you've studied music doesn't matter either. What matters is the minutes
you spend listening to a finished track and saying, "yeah, that's how I feel" and
the minutes you spend later in life, listening to your track (or having it going
through your head) and saying "yeah, that's how I felt". At least, that's how I feel.

Peaceout,

Peter

Message 4/89             07-Aug-04  @  11:16 AM   -   RE: motivation

bruce

Link?:  Link

Don' think!.... Feeeeeeeeeeeeew!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/89             07-Aug-04  @  01:53 PM   -   RE: motivation

SignalRunners - Andrew

Step 1: Take less drugs

Message 6/89             07-Aug-04  @  01:59 PM   -   RE: motivation

Maarten

See, here's where you have it all wrong andrew! Take more and keep the thinking in the fridge during music  

Message 7/89             07-Aug-04  @  02:07 PM   -   RE: motivation

* compulsary

keeps me off the streets.

wrong forum (sorry dave)

Message 8/89             07-Aug-04  @  05:31 PM   -   RE: motivation

xoxos

one thing only, always has been. to democratise the medium.

i hated growing up with these magic uber-voices telling me everythnig that's good and right, or better than what i can do on my own.

still, same situation; there are times when it seems as if i have absolutely no power to instill suspicion in others.

it's a tool.. use it for good :p

"what is it about the medium?" power.. dominance.. we are techno gods, you are mere flesh. this is why the message to the public is tightly reined by money. this is why my boy g never gets shit on the air.

i know, i know.. it's hard to admit to yourself that your fascination with electronic music is based on power..

afa taking a shit goes.. maybe i'm an idiot, but i hardly have any sense of pleasure left.. whenever i find something that appeals to me, i nail it down. observing myself (.........) my desires are all instilled.. imo even survival is instilled, cos i've seen too many parents torture their children (end of pain=pleasure.. most pleasures delay or otherwise work vs. pain) i know when i've created something dynamic/aesthetogenic tho.

if you can't find the center of the whirlwind, do you deserve to understand life more?   scary, steve? it is scary how *long* and with such conviction we do not doubt what we experience...

what you're left with is skill in energy transmission.

oh, and kick her to the curb, bro! oc, beware.. cos she prolly wants you to do this, instilling a sense of power in *you,* which is like an ez-grip handle fo sho.

Message 9/89             07-Aug-04  @  06:46 PM     Edit: 07-Aug-04  |  06:46 PM   -   RE: motivation

Steve Roughley

Xoxoxs, no offense intended here, but don't you ever get tired of continually thinking outside of the docile realm? I mean, its comfortable there. Don't you ever just sit back and let things go by; can you just feel a piece of music without questioning it entirely? Don't take this a challenge, because it isn't. I'm just curious after reading your posts for a few years, as they allways seem to display a rather intense focus on the abstraction of the subject-matter.

Message 10/89             07-Aug-04  @  11:03 PM   -   RE: motivation

xoxos

well, i come here, but for whatever cause, this incarnation frequently strikes me as being an agent. abstraction might help, intense focus might help.. but yes, the ability to observe without reaction, this above all.

eg. to notice that with feeling, it is the breadth of sensation to "FEEL good," since envaluation would be purely subjective, which moves no consciousness, or is that unconscious..

Message 11/89             07-Aug-04  @  11:26 PM   -   RE: motivation

Pongoid

Feel good? Docile? Comfortable? Whuh? Most folks I know who make music, myself included do not make it because we're ok. We make it because we feel pretty fuckin far from OK. If you're not feeling particularly motivated, and you're thinking that hard about why, perhaps things are looking up enough to give you the breathing room to do that. Usually a good pot of coffee and a cigarette help motivate.

Ape

Message 12/89             07-Aug-04  @  11:42 PM     Edit: 08-Aug-04  |  12:16 AM   -   RE: motivation

Steve Roughley

Ouch! Pongoid, I've been having trouble writing [music] recently and my life is going great atm so you've just given me another excuse to slack off. Damn you! :P I have to ask, though, are you a rocker or a hippie or something? :P Most of my producer and DJ mates just love music (and yes there is a major element of power involved, but we leave that undiscussed). We love the times we are having and making and playing music really helps to amplify and define these times. We just love the image and the vide of music I guess.

And xoxos, an agent for what? Could you possibly define the object of your retort a little further? I'm tired and I missed it.

Message 13/89             08-Aug-04  @  12:06 AM   -   RE: motivation

BOO

I'm motivated more by working with my Friend these days. He's got a great
voice and I want him to be heard by others, so I'm working towards that. Maybe
I'll truly find myself during the process.

Message 14/89             08-Aug-04  @  02:40 AM   -   RE: motivation

pict

What do you mean by power?In what sense?

Message 15/89             08-Aug-04  @  11:21 AM     Edit: 08-Aug-04  |  01:28 PM   -   RE: motivation

Steve Roughley

"Could you possibly define the object of your retort a little further?"

Oh, dear. Do I really sound like that when I'm drunk?

Pict, we are making something that strikes people emotionally, and makes them dance. There is a huge amount of power in that. Music is an intensely powerfull thing. This is why it is so often used to control and it also why it is so often banned. When you play at a club, you are essentially the master of the crowd. And this is a huge atraction to many people.

Message 16/89             08-Aug-04  @  04:04 PM   -   RE: motivation

mcc>

and we wonder why there's so much shitty music

.......when people's highest aspiration is to be "master of the crowd".

yet still far from having mastered anything within their own selves.

Message 17/89             08-Aug-04  @  05:30 PM   -   RE: motivation

xoxos

pict - the kind of power that makes people buy pepsi products, or ignore that their president is an usurper. the kind of power that makes teenagers feel good about living in a shitty factory. i guess.. the power of.. mass public experience :p that'd be broadcasting, right..

'agent' - my heritage.

Message 18/89             08-Aug-04  @  07:11 PM   -   RE: motivation

SignalRunners - BLU

Motivation?

Can be ANYTHING you want- If you have to question it, you probably dont have it.

Blu

Message 19/89             09-Aug-04  @  05:01 PM   -   RE: motivation

xoxos

says a bunch about the insubstantial nature of your garden variety motive.

Message 20/89             09-Aug-04  @  05:22 PM   -   RE: motivation

milan

i'm motivated by the fact that no one is making exactly the kind of music that i'd like to hear, so i try to produce it myself. then i invariably fail at it and am pissed off that no one is making exactly the kind of music that i'd like to hear, so i try to... err... i think i see where this is going? :p

Message 21/89             10-Aug-04  @  12:38 AM   -   RE: motivation

Gatano

Blu would you mind giving me your email I have a few PT questions if you wouldnt mind helping me.
Thanks

Message 22/89             10-Aug-04  @  12:45 AM   -   RE: motivation

SignalRunners - Andrew

Milan, you make cheese, get over it

Message 23/89             10-Aug-04  @  01:26 AM   -   RE: motivation

SignalRunners - Andrew

A more serious post...c'mon- lets all be honest here. Maybe I'm the odd one out but when I see people on MTV and twats on the news who pride themselves in saying "oh well for my inspiration..I...ermm...walk on the beach and watch a sunset and sit in the dark for 3 hours, hearing nothing but the waves and birds and reflect on my past, because past experiences make my music so much better" or my favorite is "on my trip to africa, i got a chance to work first hand with green peace and i felt "charged" when i got home, and ready for music"

......that's the biggest crock of shit I've ever heard. I've never been "inspired" to do shit. I've never gone home after feeding homeless people in my school programs and said "god damn, I'm such a good person that I'm going to write a floor filler" --- wtf? Or "woah, that sunset was gorgeous--I'm going to go put my thoughts to music just now! 'cause thats possible!!"

None of my music reflects who I am, or what mood I'm in when I write it. Because when someone in your family dies or after you get home from feeding kids with aids in africa, do you feel great enough to write a song? I'm betting you feel like shit (ie reflecting your mood, your music would sound like shit too), unless you're an asshole, and frankly just don't care.

Sure I go through periods of writing block, but I don't search for things to blame it on. I go through periods of being able to write non stop for weeks, but thats just making music. Its how it goes folks *shrug*

Message 24/89             10-Aug-04  @  09:15 AM   -   RE: motivation

milan

well bravo for an honest and original post bs....

BUT... not only do you need to listen to other music except trance, you need to get out of your house more, not to mention go travel dude!!! THEN you'll see if you wont feel inspired (or even more inspired in your case ;).

(but dont go to goa, you'll probably quit trance altogether after seeing all the drugged out hippies )

Message 25/89             10-Aug-04  @  10:17 AM   -   RE: motivation

k

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 26/89             10-Aug-04  @  11:50 AM   -   RE: motivation

beds

"None of my music reflects who I am"

indeed. lots of dance/trance/whatever is functional to the point of banality, you don't need to reflect anything when all you wanna do is recreate what some euro-gimp did last week/month/year/decade in order to "fill the floor".

"I'm betting you feel like shit (ie reflecting your mood, your music would sound like shit too)"

... *sigh*

Message 27/89             10-Aug-04  @  12:20 PM     Edit: 10-Aug-04  |  12:22 PM   -   RE: motivation

Steve Roughley

Andrew, nice post. I have to agree. There is barely anything that actually motivates me to make music, other than music itsself.

However:

"Because when someone in your family dies or after you get home from feeding kids with aids in africa, do you feel great enough to write a song? I'm betting you feel like shit (ie reflecting your mood, your music would sound like shit too), unless you're an asshole, and frankly just don't care."

I was actually surprised to find that the only time that I have every properly finished a track was directly after a good friend of mine died. I did actually feel driven to complete it. In hindsight, this was obviously me looking for a distraction, so maybe [sometimes] there is some truth in what these cheesemisters say. But I still don't see how anyone except Bloody-Curt-Depressed-Cobain could be inspired by nastiness.

Message 28/89             10-Aug-04  @  04:05 PM   -   RE: motivation

beds

hands up who thinks picasso painted guernica because he was quite happy with everything?

history is littered with art created in angst, pain, disgust, joy, wonder, lust, fear etc.

go listen to some mahler, his music was so entwined in his life that it's kinda considered hyper-emotional.

how can you deride people for their motivation? makes me think you're afraid of feeling anything.

Message 29/89             10-Aug-04  @  04:35 PM     Edit: 10-Aug-04  |  04:35 PM   -   RE: motivation

Steve Roughley

"how can you deride people for their motivation? makes me think you're afraid of feeling anything"

Nah, I just have a severe problem/neuroses about depression (I used to suffer from it, got myself out of it and now I just hate it). Also, as bloody usual, I didn't even think about what I was saying before I posted that message. Oh well.

Message 30/89             10-Aug-04  @  05:05 PM     Edit: 10-Aug-04  |  05:06 PM   -   RE: motivation

SignalRunners - BLU

"indeed. lots of dance/trance/whatever is functional to the point of banality, you don't need to reflect anything when all you wanna do is recreate what some euro-gimp did last week/month/year/decade in order to 'fill the floor'."

-----------

last time i checked this was *dance*tech, stop having a go at andrew and get out that chatroom long enought to actually do a track beds!! lol

Message 31/89             10-Aug-04  @  08:29 PM   -   RE: motivation

Influx

gotta say its VERY hard not to "have a go" after that post. but...Im keepin out of this one for the most part

Message 32/89             10-Aug-04  @  09:16 PM   -   RE: motivation

beds

you've no idea what i do blu. though by all means, assume away

Message 33/89             10-Aug-04  @  09:23 PM   -   RE: motivation

SignalRunners - BLU

ya drink in pubs with turks n pikies son, thats all i need to know!

!trivia 5000 weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

Blu

Message 34/89             10-Aug-04  @  09:42 PM   -   RE: motivation

craig

I usually only feel motivated to write when life sucks... When life's good I just enjoy the ride. Hence, I haven't really done any work in the studio all summer. Life's been pretty good, but as life is fond of doing a down period will come along sooner or later...

Message 35/89             10-Aug-04  @  10:29 PM   -   RE: motivation

Pongoid

You think I was happy when I wrote this?

http://www.1537paperstreet.com/tracks/ape/pongoid-SoIt'sWarYouWant.mp3

You think wasn't high and happy when I wrote this?

http://www.1537paperstreet.com/tracks/ape/pongoid-FlyingThroughTheEther.mp3

You think I wasn't motivted by how wonderful my lady is when I made this?

http://www.1537paperstreet.com/tracks/ape/pongoid-Oryx.mp3

You think I wasn't motivated to send a message of respect to a fallen soldier when I made this tune?

http://www.1537paperstreet.com/tracks/ape/pongoid-SaluteToTheWavejumper.mp3

You think I wasn't pissed off and fucked up out of my mind when I made this?

http://www.spaz.org/~ian/Greasy%20hair-cleaned3.mp3

Fellas, those of you that don't who talk about being not motivated by events that occur in your lives...maybe it's just because you're not in touch with life, or don't understand music all that well beyond a bit of formula and the emotional gratification of feeding your egos with what you think will gain you some sort of recognition for the next piece of typical cheese. Some of us "real" musician types just let it out because we have to. It's not a question of motivation, it's something you HAVE to let out like a giant shit, except it's a little more socially acceptable and enjoyable for most others getting a whiff of your "art". Wake up. Not everybody making art should be considered an artist.

Ape

Message 36/89             10-Aug-04  @  10:41 PM   -   RE: motivation

Influx

lovin that last line, fo sho!

Message 37/89             10-Aug-04  @  11:42 PM   -   RE: motivation

milan

aaah! DT like it's supposed to be!

Message 38/89             11-Aug-04  @  01:24 AM     Edit: 11-Aug-04  |  02:21 AM   -   RE: motivation

pict

I think that in general people go to clubs to dance,get intoxicated,and to try and find a sexual partner.I think the music is simply the incidental soundtrack for that situation and really anything with a relatively catchy tune,a few novel timbres,and a thumping beat will get them dancing because that is what they are there to do.Personally I think that "master of the crowd" motivation is very sad because really it's just a total ego wank being the object of imagined adulation and in any case any "master of the crowd" will do as will any thump thump filter sweep soundtrack wallpaper muzak.

Any artistic angst endured by the creator during the creation of his/her masterpiece is lost on the majority of the consumers of his/her "art".I think the majority of consumers equate"good" with "familiar" like with food I doubt I would enjoy eating a raw seal's eyeball like the Greenlanders do but would they like haggis?.

My motivation is simply the fact that I feel very unsettled if I am away from my instruments for any length of time longer than a day.I get twitchy feelings in my arms my thoughts eventually dissolve into one over riding thought which drowns all others"I need to play,I need to PLAY,I need TO PLAY,I NEED TO PLAY!!!"

I literally sold the coat off my back and endured a very long freezing journey home in a snowy Scottish winter and it was worth it because I got a GUITAR.You know the guy that slept with his guitar that's me.Everything that I experience finds expression through my music for no other reason than that it gives me relief from the multitude of events that affect me emotionally.

So I AM inspired to make a noise about homelessness,and poverty,the Janjaweed murderers,and the fat rich greedy war mongerers,resistance to opression and corporate coercion,those who expose corruption and risk great danger to do so,and the self sacrificing individuals who devote and even give up their lives to improve a bad situation even for people who denigrate them and their causes,these events and people inspire me and motivate me constantly.

"It is better to die on your feet than to live forever on your knees"

Message 39/89             11-Aug-04  @  02:17 AM   -   RE: motivation

SignalRunners - Andrew

Ape, thats wonderful if experiences get you off. They don't for me.

I have recently experienced a loss of my own and it hasn't inspired me for shit. Maybe I'm not your "artist" you speak of. I don't give a fuck really if I am or not, I enjoy making the music that I love and you can well fuck off if you don't respect the way I make it, or what I make.

Doesn't that make me more posh because I'm different than the norm?

Message 40/89             11-Aug-04  @  02:50 AM   -   RE: motivation

Pongoid

Well yes, I suppose I could fuck right off, couldn't I. Is that going to make your epic Trance sound any better? Oh wait...there it is...YOU make trance. Maybe THAT has something to do with it. Think about it. Try expanding your pallette a bit. I like Alan, he's a nice guy, and in fact I'm still looking around for another copy of Cubase 3 to send him, and yes I HAVE been looking, but simply because he's a nice fella doesn't make your views any more valid or your intent any more pure. If the best argument you have to my statements are "Well maybe I'm just not the kind of artist...FUCK OFF!!" wahh wahhh then maybe you should stop for a moment and evaluate yourself, your motivations and drives, your tastes, and your knowledge (or lack thereof) for a bit. You might think a bit less of yourself and be motivated to make a bit more of yourself for it. But then again, maybe it's just that everybody else misunderstands you and your motivations to create ethereal beauty and expanded concsiousness through Trance, the most sophisticated music ever made on this planet. What were the rest of us thinking? Of course you're quite posh. Go on, princess...we're all wrong here, and just should be fucking off, I guess.

*arm curled up, slapping chest

Ape

Message 41/89             11-Aug-04  @  03:49 AM   -   RE: motivation

Influx

andrew

how can you possibly write music without some form of inspiration? no one said you had to feel like writing cuz your friend died or your mom has cancer or your dog got hit by a car

OR because youre in love, etc etc...

but...good art IS inspired. There's no two ways about it! If you feel so "blah" about writing music, maybe you should find another hobby?

or perhaps I misunderstood. No interest in reading all that again, but...you sure got a lot of attitude for a guy who ONLY listens to trance. Its like youre living in this incredibly tiny bubble and any time anyone intimates that there's a world out there you lash out at them.

odd and a bit alarming to say the least!

Message 42/89             11-Aug-04  @  04:38 AM   -   RE: motivation

chroma

not that i have anything worthwhile to add but...the first time i finished a track i was really happy with was when my dad was terminally ill. i really should have spent more time with him (he's gone now) but i just threw myself into my music, maybe subconsciously clinging to something i had control over (ha!)

anyway my motivation comes from feelings of outrage over what people around me listen to, if its not sappy barry manilow crap its that nasty nu-metal or emo shit *shudder*

nice thread, well represented by the dt old guard...pict you made me cry

Message 43/89             11-Aug-04  @  05:16 AM   -   RE: motivation

SignalRunners - Andrew

Ape, I think I'm a slightly decent person as well- even though you suggest differently by your referances to Alan-- but with that aside, you've stated your point and it only shows that you are even more of a pompous ass than I thought you were before. I really see no need for further debate, as your lack of respect for what I enjoy doing and sharing with other people is quite obvious.

Message 44/89             11-Aug-04  @  05:48 AM   -   RE: motivation

Pongoid

I wouldn't know a thing about your decency, just your obvious lack of motivation, and possibly misplaced motives. Pompous? Ass? How about simply unimpressed, and disappointed with whom Alan has chosen to work? Alan was extremely kind to me, and for that I'm grateful. In fact that track Oryx was one of the ones made with the disks he sent me before they stopped working. If you're finding motivational probalems, perhaps he should be working with someone else until your motivation surfaces?

*shrugs

Ape

Message 45/89             11-Aug-04  @  08:00 AM   -   RE: motivation

CydoniaCell

oh my... hehehe oh my

now we have the "artists" screaming down from the Ivory Tower that they are insulted /nauseated by those who do not meet their standards when it comes to the creative process... such effrontery...

thing is what I just stated could be said for the both of you! (You know)...

too funny... do what you do, guys... the audience will know if you're fakin' it...

and, judgeing by the opinions I've seen about the music that get's tossed around here, at least this audience (dancetech in general) knows...

creativity is a fickle bitch... to get creative and push yourself past what others did that moved you, you sometimes need event's to shake up your perception filters and rock your boat. That might take a broken heart, a fistfull of pills or a loverly walk oin the woods... (How about a walk in the woods on Acid while your girl breaks it off)...

Other times it simply takes a basement, a synthesizer and a jar of "cheez food"

either way it's what comes out the monitors, and what it does to the floor that matters.

and we all know "a hawk from a handsaw" when we hear it, eh guys?

e

Message 46/89             11-Aug-04  @  08:22 AM   -   RE: motivation

RagnarOk

Sometimes, when I'm too much posessed with my daily engineering job I used to come up with an analogue: we're black boxes. No one knows what EXACTLY goes on inside us, not even us, so it's better assume we're just black boxes. We have lots and lots of inputs, some we recognise, some we don't. I guess the latter is the more prominent, but that's just a guess by my alter-engineer ego (probably). What comes out is just like that, sometimes we're aware of it, we even WANT it to come out, other times we just throw it out (shit it out, man, I like that metaphor). Making music is only a technique we learned some day, a form in which we can send output, like talking, writing, making gestures etc. As with shitting, our body/mind (?) rewards us with great pleasure, so we can see it's good for us. Making music is probably good for us, because (there must be) some kind of stuff that we (conscious or not) made up from our inputs, and music is an easy, well-fitting form for that kind of output.

Of course, there are people who can chat about nothing for days, and that must be the same with others making music. We all do that to some extent, and there are ones who find out its pointlessness (there's no reward, eg. it doesn't feel; good), and others who don't. Sometimes it even feels bad, and the reward can come afterwards, back we are to our shitting analogue. Hey, an exception! So its a black box, which you can predict, you can have nice models to describe it, but cannot fully analyse.

Message 47/89             11-Aug-04  @  06:45 PM   -   RE: motivation

xoxos

"this is dancetech" so we should all cater to the established forms? i think perhaps that is why there are "concerned" people concentrated here..

individuals i know and respect use their communication to create awareness.

it's a hard and fast line, but my estimation is that, if you are making music because you enjoy it or like it or something, you probably live a rather insulated existence.

christians, robots, civilised people "enjoy" "recreational activities." anyone less insulated from raw, unformatted existence is likely to analyse their predeliction.

Message 48/89             11-Aug-04  @  11:26 PM   -   RE: motivation

k

kin hell xoxos, but that WAS why the site was started, specificaly for that, to show stuff for noobs thats all really

Message 49/89             12-Aug-04  @  09:09 AM   -   RE: motivation

RagnarOk

"if you are making music because you enjoy it or like it or something ...
...christians, robots, civilised people "enjoy" "recreational activities."

Thats "enjoyment" from a consumer point of view, where no, or little giving, or shall I say "output" is involved. Enyoyment is earned by getting something. Getting a present, a haircut, a disease, a bad experience.

"individuals i know and respect use their communication to create awareness"

To "create", to "influence", these are activities to change the environment, (from which we get the input). Writing a poem. Giving flowers. Killing people on the street.

I don't see how I could make a comparison between the qualities of input and output forms. Of course I make a difference between certain input forms, and I have my preferred input/output forms, like everyone else.

Message 50/89             12-Aug-04  @  10:10 AM   -   RE: motivation

k

it's official - stop slagging off peoples taste in music!!

y'know you cant expect people to think and feel the same way you do, that's NEVER going to happen in life, and it's not a crime to just be a functional person who finds motivation doesn't require great personal angst or upheaval etc. Some people just like to make music, or like to make music which sounds like the people they admire or like, there's all sorts of reasons for motivation.

c'mon people for gods sake, stop attacking peoples taste man - it's nothing more than a more rationalised & interllectualised version of kids at school argueing over wether Britney is better than 50 Cent

Jeez Louise!

Message 51/89             12-Aug-04  @  04:12 PM   -   RE: motivation

xoxos

and to demand everyone to conform to these forms? hardly, cos conformity wouldn't be showing anything to noobs. you make "this is dancetech" a ground for everybody only doing one thing and hasta

if someone's doing shit to fill a form and the form is crap, eg. detrimental to life on earth, then ffs they ought to grow some perspective. this planet doesn't need a bunch of sorry ass wankers sitting in boxes tossing off with electrical power for the duration of their lives does it. that's a fuck load of good there.

what "it" needs atm are aware, communicating people. oc "it" is really more like your children and their children than some ridiculous personified globe, but you call it how you sees it.

Message 52/89             12-Aug-04  @  05:56 PM   -   RE: motivation

CydoniaCell

I've met 4 people in my life that weren't ignorant, self absorbed and dysfunctional (I'm not one of those 4)

Who are we to pretend we know how things should be?

Seems awfully arrogant to me...

but then, I suppose I'm pretending to know what's best here as well...

I'm just thinking... hmmm... I get your drift xoxos, and I might even say that those who sit on their hands are as guilty as those who act out, then I think, "that all depends on the motivations of the hand sitters"

But I worry when anyone chimes in with, "What the world needs..." in the same breath they used to exclude and condem. I admire anyone who can be hypersensitive to the results of their actions ("more like your children and their children than some ridiculous personified globe").

But what makes you think you're qualified to determine what's right, or needed?

e

Message 53/89             12-Aug-04  @  06:25 PM   -   RE: motivation

craig

I repeat,

But what makes you think you're qualified to determine what's right, or needed?

If you think people's lives are sad and pathetic then leave them to their sad, pathetic lives..

Message 54/89             12-Aug-04  @  07:25 PM   -   RE: motivation

k

the topic has started again to slither into that same bullshit - i'm absolutely sick to the back teeth of it, so it's time for it to die I'm afraid... no more of it.

anyways - my motivation is partly aesthetic, partly financial, i can bend if the money is wafting in my direction  

Message 55/89             12-Aug-04  @  11:18 PM   -   RE: motivation

mcc>

there can be no rules which can't be broken.

music has a life of it's own despite what it's makers might think.

a sparrow is only a sparrow unless you know what it's singing.

Message 56/89             13-Aug-04  @  01:28 AM   -   RE: motivation

psylichon

The trigger for most of my tracks is a new sound. I just get off on things I haven't heard before. That's why I put piano, strings, and arps on all my tunes :PPPP

Yeah, maybe i need a new synth...

Message 57/89             13-Aug-04  @  03:41 AM   -   RE: motivation

xoxos

it's funny, y'know, or maybe you don't.. ..because i don't recall maligning anyone's taste in music. nice of y'all to paint that in for me tho.

yes, i think anyone who does electronic music purely because they enjoy it is selfish; if you disagree then i would say you have a very limited understanding of the term.

now, this is dancetech, and as such, concerned individuals gravitate who have a respect for the power of communication we present.

as fickle as it may be, i quoted (paraphrased) "this is dancetech" in protest of the suggestion that bedwyr potter off and make a dance track because "this is dancetech.." as some sort of dance music production fascism .: my "cater to established forms" clause.

my argument was that it is banal to suggest that those who are concerned with global issues not speak.

i don't care if you make trance or what you make. quote me where i've shat on trance if you can. not i. no.

now i believe that any contemporary soul should recognise the tribulation present in this era. don't you agree? wouldn't you say? any conscientious person who professes an aptitude coupled with such an awareness could surely not simply make music for selfish reasons. i imagine that on some level, the potential would have to present itself fairly often within the course of one's activity, and thus any statement such as "i make music only because i like it" could not be true, unless conditions were present that would disengage the conscience, eg. christianity or other patterning, since conscience seems to be present in most feral anima.

you see, it would be fantastic imo if people were to scrutinise their motives instead of simply being enthusiastic about their presence. it would be really special, yep. cos you know why, is motivations are like the main things, maaan.. the maiin things... erm, that we act upon.

see? me. not vs. any style. happy now? i've tried to make this sound as political and slimy as i can. it's my diplomatic style (well except for te end.)

do you give a fuck wha style? no.

stop hammering eg. environmental responsibility? what you think, big laugh?

Message 58/89             13-Aug-04  @  07:10 AM   -   RE: motivation

mcc>

i think it's quite apparent just by listening to people's music what many of their motivations are.
though i certainly wouldn't say self-enjoyment is a sin or crime....to any degree....
or even making money>
i also believe that there should be much more to it than that.

i'm not for rules and regulations saying there should be more and better reasons
to make music than a simple love of making noise...
but deep down....
it's the music that does the talking and final deciding in this respect.

if there is no feeling human-being behind the music (even if it's "emotional" music) this will often reveal itself in unfortunate ways....
as these exercises in the expression of nothing will certainly begin to wear thin.....their lack of purpose staring all those in the face who encounter it.
if there is a feeling human behind it but one who denies his feelings...then this too will manifest in strange ways as artist and audience try to connect the work to its creator....to the audience and back to the song again.
if there is purpose....it will be in evidence....whether the artist can
verbalize it or not.

motivation is a mysterious thing.

and yet just what motivates people might still be the most important question of all.

Message 59/89             13-Aug-04  @  10:14 AM   -   RE: motivation

k

well as far as I can see, people make music cos they want to

imitate (inspired by something they love & want to also do it)

create (it comes from within soley and it's relevence to anything else is not an issue)

have a job (creating being therefore the act of a 'jobbing' musician working to a remit - like a welder or engineer makes things people ask for, for money,, but in his spare time makes sculptures out of spare bits of metal and engineering parts, but 'welding' is his job

take the last 3 months. I've done:

film music. The job there was to help produce score that had been previously written

some commercial demo tracks for a published writer which needed to be turned into a tangible audio example of the material for the publishing house

remixes of the above for more variety

Played guitar at some gigs for a band i play in (not my material, so it's furthering someone elses ideas by helping present them live)

Personal stuff, just things I like - so that's a typical pattern of what onew does - some for oneself, some for others, both either paid or not depending - Coming up is more of the same, remixes of stuff done previously that's going to be released (club anthems/pop sorta stuff), and some (hopefuly) more film score for a TV documentary.

i dont really question my motivations, i just see the red bills & remember what I OWE & what I need to buy... and act  

Message 60/89             13-Aug-04  @  03:50 PM   -   RE: motivation

mcc>

since when did you start owing money k?

anyway.....what i was getting at>

(besides the basic practical motives behind particular projects...such as fixing up other people's previously-written scores and syncing stuff to film or performing a guitar-part in a band...eliminating noise from a vocal track.....etc)

is the how and why of so-called modern original electronic music>
of electronic songwriters>....
of actually writing music.....
how some people can take songs in a certain direction and arrive at the notion
that it is some way original or worthy of other people's time and attention.
this, somehow in relation to the financial expenditure required to produce the track.....
the time it takes to construct and refine it......
then the time it takes to take the message to it's audience.....
and then the time it takes for the audience to experience it....and finally,
if taken this far....
to analyze it...discuss it....and then perhaps re-experience it
as a result of whatever satisfaction it was originally perceived to have brought
the listener.

the task, therefore, would seem to create an experience or consciousness which might stir something within the listener which might open one's consciousness...or
elevate certain aspects of the pleasure idiom in such a way as to make the
unspoken message (music) somewhat available and worthwhile for all.

for me, this has always equated into creating something which 1) might open some new door simply by creating juxtapositons of elements in even slightly fresh new ways.....hopefully not experienced in this specific manner prior to the current experience and 2) by creating pleasure...something resembling welcome.....be it home (mother) or some new undiscovered pasture....perhaps even the roll of fine generous tongue on one's phallus....whatever that pleasure may be.....it is essential in the furthering of any message...be it political spiritual or otherwise.

the promise of fulfillment is key.

no good soldier (emphasis on good) goes into battle without some declaration within one's self that glory awaits him...if not on this earth.....
then in some beyond that calls and beckons to him.

through that simple motivation.....greatness is often achieved.

and yet the mystery remains....eternal.

Message 61/89             14-Aug-04  @  07:33 AM   -   RE: motivation

urbicide

fuck, music motivates ppl, yes! I sit at the computer and the keys write
themselves. Do I enjoy it? yes. why? b/c it cures the madness and loneliness that
is. Is it fucking god damn selfish? I dont care if you think that. I dont. I like to leave
my shoes at the beach. There is so much filth and pain that it makes me turn to
my elements. I dont care about making money. Maybe if I want to get the next
bottle or eat a good dinner, I will. But I have a stupid job for that crap.

So, back to the shit, what motivates us? it can be anything. money/greed, love,
madness, sanity, power, fame, happiness. Which one feels right in the end? The
one that is less selfish. goto the grave with that. or do you actually care? if not,
turn the gas on.

Message 62/89             14-Aug-04  @  09:58 AM   -   RE: motivation

k

heh - well yeah, if you are really lucky, you do what comes out, and yet people like it, you're not having to bend so to speak.... that's lucky

Message 63/89             14-Aug-04  @  11:07 AM   -   RE: motivation

groovemonkey

Typical.... just typical....

why is it that so many threads at DT end up with folks slagging eachother and their respective music.?

What gives any of you the right to diss someone that you only know through a few posts?

pathetic!

y'all should use that negative energy for something good like writing music and quit slagging just coz you don't agree and think you're superior.

G

Message 64/89             14-Aug-04  @  12:17 PM   -   RE: motivation

k

A more serious post...c'mon- lets all be honest here. Maybe I'm the odd one out but when I see people on MTV and twats on the news who pride themselves in saying "oh well for my inspiration..I...ermm...walk on the beach and watch a sunset and sit in the dark for 3 hours, hearing nothing but the waves and birds and reflect on my past, because past experiences make my music so much better" or my favorite is "on my trip to africa, i got a chance to work first hand with green peace and i felt "charged" when i got home, and ready for music"

......that's the biggest crock of shit I've ever heard. I've never been "inspired" to do shit. I've never gone home after feeding homeless people in my school programs and said "god damn, I'm such a good person that I'm going to write a floor filler" --- wtf? Or "woah, that sunset was gorgeous--I'm going to go put my thoughts to music just now! 'cause thats possible!!"

None of my music reflects who I am, or what mood I'm in when I write it. Because when someone in your family dies or after you get home from feeding kids with aids in africa, do you feel great enough to write a song? I'm betting you feel like shit (ie reflecting your mood, your music would sound like shit too), unless you're an asshole, and frankly just don't care.

Sure I go through periods of writing block, but I don't search for things to blame it on. I go through periods of being able to write non stop for weeks, but thats just making music. Its how it goes folks *shrug*

I kinda agree with that and it ties in with someone comment above about dancemusic consumers simply use dance to dance to (no what a surprise) to go out, drop a few pills, have a few lines, have a few drinks, get laid if they're lucky etc

my fav' used to be speed or coke with acid - mmmm loverlee booster!, although i had to lay off the acid a few years back to be honest cos it was taking over 'out-of-school' (so to speak ) lol

I cant do dance tunes when i'm upset or some shit is happening - i can write songs, acoustic songs for guitar... i find misery is very good for that, but dance-music is for dancing to!!

I make dance music when i'm up and positive & there's no 'angst' involved etc - I really dont think (in most cases) that misery goes with it, unless you do some dark style.... I dont think you can compare the classic manic-depressive motivational misery of painters or whatever or lead singers in bands (Jim Morrison etc) with dance music (imo anyways)

I really beleive you cant appreciate dance music unless you dance! - call me thick, but if you dance, if you go clubbing, then creating dance tracks is just an extention of dancing

if you have trouble with beats i always think learning to dance is a good idea, it really can help your tunes.

Message 65/89             14-Aug-04  @  01:08 PM   -   RE: motivation

SignalRunners - Andrew

call me crazy but ive never been to a club. i just love the music

Message 66/89             14-Aug-04  @  01:10 PM   -   RE: motivation

groovemonkey

lol... you crazy mang!

G

Message 67/89             14-Aug-04  @  01:47 PM   -   RE: motivation

beds

bollocks. maybe it's true for most of the throwaway functional music that's gets churned out but i can't see why music you can dance to can't have any emotional depth.

i'm off to listen to some Blaze

Message 68/89             14-Aug-04  @  02:38 PM     Edit: 14-Aug-04  |  02:56 PM   -   RE: motivation

k

eh?.... no no - hold on, my musics not 'throwaway' - what about craft?... y'know simpley taking some pride in crafting a track?... why does it have to be throwaway just cos you weren't inspired by some event or whatever?

why cant you just make tunes because you like the work, like a challenge etc? - even tunes i do that i dont rewally like i still try hard to make them as good as i can - that's a producers role really at the end of the day - you cant produce if you only can do something with material that really fires you up - you'd hardly ever work - lol

to add - i DO undertand that a good dance track can have emotional depth, but it's a really hard thing to pin down, and besides, you can take two tracks from two different genre's - each, to a fan of that genre, can have emotional depth, but still if you aren't into that genre, the 'depth' will be wasted i think cos if you dont like deep house you dont like it, end of story - someone might make a dark drum&bass toon, their motivation maybe very personal and they REALLY feel it, but again, to someone who hates D&B, it'll be lost on them cos they simply dont like D&B

i know what you mean tho... i'm not saying i dont personaly have any emotional involvement in tracks i do - but all I'm saying is, it's not deep emotional stuff - if that does happen tho to any degree, it'll always tend to be when working with a vocal track, cos vocals add the soul alot of the time, and in that way i can get MORE emotionaly involved if the singer is taking it there in the first place

Message 69/89             14-Aug-04  @  03:19 PM   -   RE: motivation

beds

well, some of the sentiments from earlier disparaged the idea of any involvment of emotion/experience in other people's motivation and creativity "crock of shit" and it really is no surprise to me that things got a bit hot under the collar.

Message 70/89             14-Aug-04  @  04:09 PM   -   RE: motivation

k

ah right, i see what you mean now

Message 71/89             14-Aug-04  @  06:54 PM   -   RE: motivation

mcc>

when man first arrived on earth fully-diapered in animal furs and skins like the bible says....what day was it?
ohh....6...yes...day six.
well...ever since that day he found a desire to paint things on the walls of caves...and to beat logs and blow whistles...hum and yell and moan tunes to assert his existence and love and fear of things.
sometimes it was fear of the dark.
sometimes it was love for neighbor's wife....
sometimes it was the joy that followed a successful hunt or harvesting of crops.

sometimes it was just about being alive.

sometimes it was about going to africa.

sometimes it was about her eyes and lips and sweet soft roundness.

sometimes it was about heaven and the stars that shone at night.

sometimes it was just BEING alive.

Message 72/89             14-Aug-04  @  07:18 PM   -   RE: motivation

k

indeed - i have this theory about the Pyramids see.... 2000 years ago, the Pharoes looked into the future and realised

1. Egypt had no worthwhile exportable agriculture overflow
2. Egypt had no industry potential due to lack of ores or whatever deposits

so they built those crazy pyramids so that Egypt would have a great tourist industry

lol

Message 73/89             15-Aug-04  @  12:30 AM   -   RE: motivation

Pongoid

Well, if you're gonna be regarded as a god, you'd definately do well give people a pretty decent reminder. lol

Ape

Message 74/89             15-Aug-04  @  02:17 AM   -   RE: motivation

mcc>

must've been some pretty hard uplifting slave-songs being moaned all day while building those suckers.

we forgot to mention certain-death as motivation.

Message 75/89             15-Aug-04  @  06:57 PM   -   RE: motivation

mcc>

and the beat goes on.....baby.

Message 76/89             15-Aug-04  @  07:53 PM   -   RE: motivation

Pongoid

Actually, some folks kind of got over the certain death thing. It's how quickly and painfully it happens, and what happens afterward that had/has a lot of them scared. Pretty funny tool for motivation, eh? Piss off a god, and not only do you suffer horribly with an early death of this body, but your Ka weighs heavy in Anubis' scale, and no party in the afterlife for you, it's munchy munchy time for Ammut, the devourer of souls. For the Jews it was a little different, but that's all kind of hearsay, depending on which books you read and believe.

Ape

Message 77/89             15-Aug-04  @  08:58 PM   -   RE: motivation

k

getting new toys is good for motivation. The way you really get into a new synth, processor or whatever... that's a good one.

Message 78/89             15-Aug-04  @  09:34 PM   -   RE: motivation

mcc>

so true......the new-toy factor is analogous to the new-love equation.
it's sure to introduce some excitement.....even occasionally inspiring a new-found appreciation for the old.
i think lene lovich sang about that some moons ago.
well...her...the damned...the darkness...sam and dave....

Message 79/89             16-Aug-04  @  05:37 AM   -   RE: motivation

Pongoid

While new gear can certainly be motivating for a time, I actually find far more in tools I've had for quite some time, and trying to utilize functions and parameters that I'd earlier dismissed as uninteresting, inefficient, etc.. Alsom it's nice to try things that seem wrong. Those kinds of things give me great motivation.

Ape

Message 80/89             16-Aug-04  @  08:24 PM   -   RE: motivation

CydoniaCell

Over the last 10 years archaeologists have theorized that it was very unlikely that the pyramids were built by slaves. A recent dig unearthed a work camp... records of workers wages, shift logs, etc indicate that it was a highly organized public works project and that those working on the pyrakids were actualy more like middle class blue collar workers, not slaves.

Also, new gear can be a great motivation for many, which for me points to the idea that this brand of music is more immediate than emotional... Most electromusos I know are far more interested in the trip factor of a synth texture than the emotional impact of a track. But let's not confuse emotions for feelings, cause I've always felt that ectronic music was more about the immediacy of a FEELING than the long term purpose of emotional attachment...

I know that's a little zen, but being on the dancefloor can be VERY zen-ish.

shrug

p

Message 81/89             16-Aug-04  @  11:08 PM   -   RE: motivation

xoxos

there's funny, over the last 10 years i've been theorising that blue collar workers are actually closer to pyramid slaves than previously suspected.

Message 82/89             16-Aug-04  @  11:17 PM     Edit: 16-Aug-04  |  11:19 PM   -   RE: motivation

SignalRunners - Andrew

[edited to hold back shit throwing ]

Message 83/89             16-Aug-04  @  11:41 PM   -   RE: motivation

mcc>

if them egyptians were indeed blue-collar workers like
middle-class detroit auto-workers....
then they must've had some TRULY bumpin tunes to haul those stones up there to!

one song went like this:

we no slaves...we egyptian.
we ain't slaves... we be gettin paid.
we no slaves...just look at our blue-collars.....
everyone heave-ho> now give us all a holler!

we ain't slaves...we living so large....
we no slaves.....we go home to the tv....
we saw a mighty saucer float by late last night
but she was just passin thru.....singing...
heave-ho ...all you ho's!
now hurry up and build me my house!!!!

we no slaves.....

Message 84/89             17-Aug-04  @  12:57 AM     Edit: 17-Aug-04  |  12:58 AM   -   RE: motivation

TEH PILLOW PROVIDERS

Cautious
Lay down
And
Yield
Yellow thoughts,
Over , and,
Under
Caution!
Underlying, again
Nothing flew,
Tranquility.............................

Message 85/89             17-Aug-04  @  01:23 AM   -   RE: motivation

TEH NINJA SNEAK

Xylophone Falling
Onstar on your finger tips
Xena on the WB

fuck this i give up

Message 86/89             17-Aug-04  @  03:50 AM   -   RE: motivation

mcc>

hey?!? that was pretty good!!

Message 87/89             17-Aug-04  @  04:25 AM   -   RE: motivation

CydoniaCell

not bad... but, 6 syllables in the last line and no seasonal reference in the first line...

I don't know about starting two lines with "x"'s.. the form is more important than the message, but the point is there... and it's made with an empty quality...

nice enough

e

Message 88/89             17-Aug-04  @  07:19 PM   -   RE: motivation

xoxos

how come you named yourself after two of my favourite sexual positions? explains why you stopped at zena :D

Message 89/89             18-Aug-04  @  11:52 AM   -   RE: motivation

milan

the white man's got a... erm... andrew's got a god complex

Viewing all 89 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 9

There are 89 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)