aaa vst synths are a pain to work with - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: vst synths are a pain to work with

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             24-Sep-01  @  05:58 PM   -   vst synths are a pain to work with

Brett B

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

every time I stop and start again the volume on the VST synths return to full. I turned on controler searchback and it doesn't help. I use volume envelops and it still does it. Also the patch resets unless you leave the window for the synth minimized. If you close it is goes back to the preset. Saving and loading programs is ok, but the name never replaces the preset on the pro-52. When you open the lm4, you have to reload the drum kit everytime. I use fxpansion. I thought these little things were ok, but it is getting anoying,

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             28-Sep-01  @  11:48 PM   -   RE: vst synths are a pain to work with

GT

Agreed. I bought Pro-52 and while I'm okay on the sound(s), I'm kinda ticked about the fact that one has to depress and hold a key to use as a filter.

Hmm, sweet tho for $139. Battery absolutely kills my XV-5080 for drums with repect to flexibility and recording headroom (32bit files possible!). Another $139 spent well.

Message 3/8             28-Sep-01  @  11:49 PM   -   RE: vst synths are a pain to work with

GT

EDITED

Agreed. I bought Pro-52 and while I'm okay on the sound(s), I'm kinda ticked about the fact that one has to depress and hold a key to use as a filter.

Hmm, sweet tho for $139. Battery absolutely kills my XV-5080 for drums with respect to flexibility and recording headroom (32bit files possible!). Another $139 spent well.

Message 4/8             29-Sep-01  @  06:42 PM   -   RE: vst synths are a pain to work with

k

Link?: Link

it depends how you use them and if they are setup for hardware controllers i reckon - in that way they are often as good as hardware... certainly for drums & loops etc they are getting better & better... i could live with them solo with a pc with enuff poke... i guess also it depends how minimal your style is, but i've done some great stuff (by my hardware standards) with s/w synths/vsti's.. The real issue is gigs.. live shows and hands-on control is where they could fall down a bit although you could do a s/w based gig with plenty of preperation.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/8             02-Oct-01  @  03:53 AM   -   RE: vst synths are a pain to work with

Brett B

The issue is the weight they put on my system. I need a lot more power and faster latency. They are all set up for controlers, but it is the loading and storing of sounds that is not cool. I lose sounds by closing the window before I saved, and they are prone to glitches etc. I am not giving up the hardware yet. I love soft drum boxes, but my sampler is mobile though. Using them internally makes it able to bounce midi to audio convieniantly. For the budget minded no synths are really needed anymore. Just powerful pc's with low latency. I find that after coming up with a groove, i can't really work with the soft synths because of power consumption. I recomend nothing less than the fastest pc available for this kind of setup. Why not, you save on hardware and put it into the computer.

Message 6/8             05-Oct-01  @  09:08 PM   -   RE: vst synths are a pain to work with

99devils

Brent.. When you're working on a tune, bounce each part down to an audio track when you've finished, but save the original sequence and instrument, in case further tweaking is necessary... Keep it muted. This way you don't have to have all of the virtual synths going at the same time. It'll save you a lot of CPU.

-Craig

Message 7/8             06-Oct-01  @  04:31 AM   -   RE: vst synths are a pain to work with

Brett B

Yes , i know, but I really work in a way that prevents that. I create tracks and get the groove going , but always go back and reprogram the sounds and even change the feel in parts. My first take is rarely ever the final.

Message 8/8             06-Oct-01  @  07:29 PM   -   RE: vst synths are a pain to work with

tweaker_at_work

I was just working with that pro5 instrument.
I have the real prophet myself. And im sorry but
the pro5 doesnt even come close.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)